Welcome to the Three Room Studio Saturday Challenge!
Candice here, and I'm your challenge host this week! This week's challenge is interactive cards!
I knew I wanted to create an interactive "clock card" (that's definitely not the technical term, but that's what it always reminds me of!) so I pulled out all of my favourite TRS sets to find the perfect little image to use. I ended up choosing the little shark from Welcome Little One
, but this could be done with any little stamps!
I stamped and fussy cut 7 little sharks and then colored them using my Copic markers. I used the following colour combinations:
- Cool gray: C1, C2, C3, C5, C7
- Neutral gray: N0, N2, N4, N6, N8
- Blue: B93, B95, B97, B99
- Bellies: colorless blender, N0, N2
I also made a 4.25 x 5.5 inch card base out of a light gray cardstock. To create the interactive element, I started by diecutting 3 "rings" from 110 lb cardstock. To create these "rings" I diecut a 2.5 inch diameter circle, and then diecut a 1.75 inch diameter circle from the center of the larger circle. I placed one of the rings on the card front where I would like the mechanism to sit, and adhered 2 layers of foam tape around the inner edge of the ring (you don't want this to be too tight or your spinner won't spin, make sure there's just a little bit of wiggle room). Once this was done, I added the second diecut ring on top of the first (NO GLUE, just place it on top)--you could only use one ring if you'd like, but I find two helps the mechanism move better and gives the spinner some added "lift" so the recipient can turn it more easily.
I glued down my little sharks to the remaining ring, trying to make sure they were somewhat evenly spaced. I also added a single piece of fun foam behind the "head" of each shark--not necessary, but it helps give them some "lift" to make it easier for the recipient to spin! Once that was done, I placed by ring with the sharks attached on top of the ring stack (again, no glue!).
Lastly, I stamped the sentiments "Welcome" and "little one" from the same stamp set onto some white cardstock and diecut it using a circle die 2 inches in diameter (you can use any die to do this, the key is that it's larger than the "inner circle" measurement of your ring, and smaller than the outer circle measurement). I placed the sentiment circle on top of my foam tape, ensuring it was adhered. And voila! That's the final card!
I hope you enjoyed today's card, and that it's inspired you to give interactive cards a try. I'd love to see what you make!
Please take a gander at some of our fellow designer creations for today's challenge...
Thanks for checking out our talented designers!
Rules for our Challenge:
1. Please mention the Three Room Studio Saturday Challenge in your post and provide a link so that others can join our challenge too.
2. Please link to your blog post and NOT your entire blog.
3. Your project must be new - no back links please. Only ONE entry per challenge.
4. The challenge will close at midnight GMT/7:00 pm Eastern Time on Fridays.
5. You may combine this challenge with other challenges.
6. Please turn off word verification so that we may comment on your card more easily. We realize a lot of you use it for safety reasons. We will do our best to leave comments for each of our challenge participants, however, trying to figure out those letters and numbers can be very frustrating! We strongly suggest using comment moderation as a friendlier alternative.
7. Colour challenges - you must use all the colours specified in the challenge. As well as the challenge colours, you can usually use neutrals - white, black, grey, cream and small amounts of brown, but no other colours at all. The host for the challenge may sometimes give different requirements, so please check each post.
8. Sketch challenges - you can flip or spin the sketch, and change the proportions and shapes, as long as we can still see the basic sketch in your card. Again, the host may sometimes give different requirements, so please check each post.
We would LOVE for you to play along with our Three Room Studio stamps and products but you are more than welcome to use other companies to participate.
OUR PRIZE: One lucky participant per month will be WIN a $15 gift certificate to the Three Room Studio shop!
Please link your entry below: